20th April 2014

Photoset reblogged from Appolsaucy with 145,328 notes

lacigreen:

a point has been made

Source: fallontonight

20th April 2014

Photoset reblogged from the emperor of ice cream with 27,720 notes

cosplayadoration:

Hocus Pocus. / Costumes: Castle Corsetry / Models: Birds of Play as Winifred and Sarah Sanderson, Chrissy Lynn as Mary Sanderson & Strange Like That Cosplay as Billy Butcherson / Photographer: Joits Photography 

Tagged: OMGHocus Pocusfavourite filmI've always wanted to cosplay this

Source: cosplayadoration

20th April 2014

Post reblogged from Looking for a path with 468 notes

You Thought I Was That Type - Anna Akhmatova

coolchicksfromhistory:

You thought I was that type:
That you could forget me, 
And that I’d plead and weep
And throw myself under the hooves of a bay mare,

Or that I’d ask the sorcerers
For some magic potion made from roots and send you a terrible gift:
My precious perfumed handkerchief. 

Damn you! I will not grant your cursed soul
Vicarious tears or a single glance.

And I swear to you by the garden of the angels,
I swear by the miracle-working icon,
And by the fire and smoke of our nights:
I will never come back to you. 

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

Anna Akhmatova (1889-1966) is one of Russia’s best known poets.  She was persecuted by Stalin’s regime and her work was barred from publication for much of her lifetime.

Tagged: poetryrussian poetryanna akhmatova

Source: poemhunter.com

20th April 2014

Photoset reblogged from Looking for a path with 12,472 notes

coolchicksfromhistory:

thelifeguardlibrarian:

mildhorror:

Here’s the link for more information about the PS244 fundraising campaign

Here’s the link to the GIVE IT ALL TO ME Library Collection at OutofPrintClothing.com.

Check it out! The good folks dropped me a line about this project last week, and I’m happy to boost for Library Week.

Signal boost

Tagged: signal boostlibraryi am a librarian

Source: mildhorror

20th April 2014

Chat reblogged from "Together?" "I think so." with 22,377 notes

Wizarding Logic

  • Sirius: Hey Hagrid can I have my godson whom I was entrusted to look after by my best mate, his father?
  • Hagrid: No, Dumbledore says you can't.
  • Sirius: But, legally, I-
  • Hagrid: No.
  • Aurors: Sirius Black you are under arrest for the murder of twelve people and for being implicated in the murder of the Potters and for working for Lord Voldemort.
  • Sirius: But, if you looked at my wand you'd see I didn't cast any-
  • Aurors: No.
  • Sirius: Why would I even betray James? He was like a brother to me. He showed me what was wrong with my upbringing, he took me in when I was disinherited, and he was the best mate I ever had. I am so upset about his death I am barely coherent.
  • Aurors: Dumbledore says you did it.
  • Sirius: But I was working FOR Dumbledore. Literally ask any Order member or Death Eater and they will tell you that Voldemort hated me.
  • Aurors: You're going to wizard prison, motherfucker.

Tagged: sirius blackharry potterthe eternal unfairness

Source: october31st1981

20th April 2014

Post reblogged from Looking for a path with 910 notes

therealdeepsix:

therealdeepsix:

One thing I haven’t really seen discussed much yet about CATWS is the role of the Smithsonian exhibit and how it informs the theme of identity in the movie. As lots of you probably know by now, I find the presence of history (as a discipline) really cool when it appears in pop culture, so I kinda want to talk about what putting this exhibit in the movie does on a narrative level. Because museums tell stories through cultural artifacts, right? Only, cultural artifacts don’t always tell the whole story, or at least don’t tell a single story. The story they tell very much depends on how they’re curated: how they’re displayed, what they’re displayed with, how they are contextualized and commented on by the curator(s).

So while the exhibit is about Captain America, at least one of the stories that it’s telling is actually about Bucky.

Read More

       (blueshoesandbluemountains)

OH MAN THIS THOUGH

I think the way Steve interacts with the exhibit is so interesting. The fact that he goes to see it at all is heartbreaking, because why bother looking at an exhibit about something you already know more intimately than a collection of display cases could convey? Partly because he wants the comfort of something familiar, I’d argue, but also partly because he wants to see how it is that he’s remembered. He has so many doubts about the world that he’s been left in that he wants to see how his reality matches up with the story composed ex post facto, to see how much he can trust about the mythology created in his name. That’s Steve trying to figure out if this America is one he wants to serve, and he’s doing it by comparing his memories (which he trusts) with the story he’s now being fed about himself (which he’s not sure about yet).

(DO NOT THINK ABOUT HOW THIS COMPARES TO BUCKY’S SITUATION, OKAY, BECAUSE THEN YOU’LL HAVE FEELINGS AND DIE. BUT YES, THAT IS WHAT I’M GESTURING AT.)

The second time he visits the exhibit is to steal his old uniform. I didn’t think much of it at the time because I was too busy laughing at Stan Lee’s cameo, but the implications of this are kind of agonizing. He takes his old uniform specifically because he knows he’s going to have to face Bucky, and he wants to do it in something familiar to Bucky. Remember that that’s what he was wearing the last time Bucky saw him in 1944/5. He knows that Bucky doesn’t remember him, but he wants so desperately for Bucky to recognise something that he takes one of the few pieces of their shared history left in this world specifically in the hope that it triggers something for Bucky.

In both these cases, he’s not interacting with the exhibit out of nostalgia, but because it can do something for him in the here and now. Even while history tells us about the past, the way that it’s told tells us about the present. And while he could have left his old uniform as an artifact, testament to his relationship with WWII-era America, instead he takes it and wears it in an effort to change the course of American history as it unfolds today.

Tagged: steve rogersbucky barnescaptain americacaptain america 2captain america: winter soldierwinter soldier

Source: therealdeepsix

19th April 2014

Photoset reblogged from The Lynch of Locke Lamora with 162 notes

scottlynch78:

qwertyprophecy:

Gentleman Bastard themed playing cards (or, a Carousel Hazard deck ambiguously appropriated into an illustrated poker deck). Done as part of the GB chat’s Secret Sanza.

Featuring:

Mister of Chalices: Locke Lamora
Mistress of Chalices: Jean Tannen
Sigil of Chalices: Bug

Mister of Sabres: Grey King
Mistress of Sabres: Zamira Drakasha
Sigil of Sabres: Ezri Delmastro

Mister of Flowers: Patience
Mistress of Flowers: Sabetha Belacoros
Sigil of Flowers: Falconer

Mister of Spires: Capa Barsavi
Mistress of Spires: Requin
Sigil of Spires: Father Chains

Jokers: Calo and Galdo Sanza

(Trivia: The big symbol on the backside is something of a personal headcanon shorthand for the twelve plus one gods. Also, the drop shapes on Two of Chalices symbolise the tears of readers everywhere.)

I’m just gonna sit back and let Miles make all the Gentleman Bastard stuff from now on.

Tagged: gentlemen bastardsscott lynchlies of locke lamora

Source: qwertyprophecy

19th April 2014

Photo reblogged from Squash Tea with 1,992 notes

ursulavernon:

mortisia:

Lemony Snicket

I’d put the odds at a good 40%, with most of the other 60% birding related.

ursulavernon:

mortisia:

Lemony Snicket

I’d put the odds at a good 40%, with most of the other 60% birding related.

Tagged: readingbooksmost constant of friendslemony snicket

Source: mortisia

19th April 2014

Photoset reblogged from the emperor of ice cream with 4,016 notes

hiddlesdreaming:

anonymous asked: loki laufeyson or bucky barnes?

Tagged: bucky barneswinter soldiersebastian stan

Source: hiddlesdreaming

19th April 2014

Photoset reblogged from Hatteress with 24,338 notes

Tagged: orphan blacksexuality

Source: clonespiracy